- Strong’s ID:
- Greek Word:
- Part of Speech:
- noun feminine
- probably from a primary verb ειρω eiro (to join)
- Usage Count:
- Find “eirene” in the Bible (New Testament)
Equip God’s People Greek Lexicon
Equip God’s People Greek Lexicon © 2013–2023. All rights reserved.
Strong’s Greek Lexicon
probably from a primary verb ειρω eiro (to join); peace (literally or figuratively); by implication, prosperity:—one, peace, quietness, rest, + set at one again.
Owing to changes in the enumeration while in progress, there were no words left for numbers 2717 and 3203–3302, which were therefore silently dropped out of the vocabulary and references as redundant.
Thayer’s Greek Definitions
1) a state of national tranquillity
1a) exemption from the rage and havoc of war
2) peace between individuals, i.e. harmony, concord
3) security, safety, prosperity, felicity, (because peace and harmony make and keep things safe and prosperous)
4) of the Messiah’s peace
4a) the way that leads to peace (salvation)
5) of Christianity, the tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and content with its earthly lot, of whatsoever sort that is
6) the blessed state of devout and upright men after death
Thayer’s Definitions are as edited by the Online Bible of Winterbourne, Ontario. They removed the etymology, cross-references, and Greek phrases and changed some of Thayer’s Unitarian doctrinal positions concerning the work and person of Christ.