G2424 – Iesous – ἸησοῦςJesus, Joshua
- Strong’s ID:
- Greek Word:
- Part of Speech:
- noun proper masculine
- of Hebrew origin H3091
- Usage Count:
- Find “Iesous” in the Bible (New Testament)
Equip God’s People Greek Lexicon
3) literally: YHW/Yahweh/Jehovah Is Salvation
Equip God’s People Greek Lexicon © 2013–2023. All rights reserved.
Strong’s Greek Lexicon
of Hebrew origin H3091; Jesus (i.e. Jehoshua), the name of our Lord and two (three) other Israelites:—Jesus.
Owing to changes in the enumeration while in progress, there were no words left for numbers 2717 and 3203-3302, which were therefore silently dropped out of the vocabulary and references as redundant.
Thayer’s Greek Definitions
Jesus = “Jehovah is salvation”
1) Jesus, the Son of God, the Saviour of mankind, God incarnate
2) Jesus Barabbas was the captive robber whom the Jews begged Pilate to release instead of Christ
3) Joshua was the famous captain of the Israelites, Moses’ successor (Acts 7:45, Heb. 4:8)
4) Jesus, son of Eliezer, one of the ancestors of Christ (Luke 3:29)
5) Jesus, surnamed Justus, a Jewish Christian, an associate with Paul in the preaching of the gospel (Col. 4:11)
Thayer’s Definitions are as edited by the Online Bible of Winterbourne, Ontario. They removed the etymology, cross-references, and Greek phrases and changed some of Thayers Unitarian doctrinal positions concerning the work and person of Christ.