- Strong’s ID:
- Greek Word:
- Part of Speech:
- noun masculine
- probably from the base of G2865
- Usage Count:
- Find “kosmos” in the Bible (New Testament)
Equip God’s People Greek Lexicon
1) the cosmos, universe, all of creation
2) figuratively: the earth/world
3) literally: decoration
Equip God’s People Greek Lexicon © 2013–2023. All rights reserved.
Strong’s Greek Lexicon
probably from the base of G2865; orderly arrangement, i.e. decoration; by implication, the world (in a wide or narrow sense, including its inhabitants, literally or figuratively [morally]):—adorning, world.
Owing to changes in the enumeration while in progress, there were no words left for numbers 2717 and 3203–3302, which were therefore silently dropped out of the vocabulary and references as redundant.
Thayer’s Greek Definitions
1) an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government
2) ornament, decoration, adornment, i.e. the arrangement of the stars, ‘the heavenly hosts’, as the ornament of the heavens. 1 Pet. 3:3
3) the world, the universe
4) the circle of the earth, the earth
5) the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human family
6) the ungodly multitude; the whole mass of men alienated from God, and therefore hostile to the cause of Christ
7) world affairs, the aggregate of things earthly
7a) the whole circle of earthly goods, endowments riches, advantages, pleasures, etc, which although hollow and frail and fleeting, stir desire, seduce from God and are obstacles to the cause of Christ
8) any aggregate or general collection of particulars of any sort
8a) the Gentiles as contrasted to the Jews (Romans 11:12 etc)
8b) of believers only, John 1:29; 3:16; 3:17; 6:33; 12:47, 1 Corinthians 4:9; 2 Corinthians 5:19
Thayer’s Definitions are as edited by the Online Bible of Winterbourne, Ontario. They removed the etymology, cross-references, and Greek phrases and changed some of Thayer’s Unitarian doctrinal positions concerning the work and person of Christ.